Thursday, December 4, 2014

A Life Shaped and Re-shaped by Prayer
Thursday, Week 1 - Philippians 1:18b-26: Rejoicing

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will result in my deliverance. It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be put to shame in any way, but that by my speaking with all boldness, Christ will be exalted now as always in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which I prefer. I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.

Paul is in prison awaiting trial, and he is thinking about what might happen to him. Ultimately he expects an acquittal and release “resulting in his deliverance,” as he says.  That’s good news.  However, he knows full well that this will be an ordeal.  He will be under repeated attack as he continues to speak about his allegiance to Christ (his “fruitful labor”); and there will be threats, perhaps of torture or death, unless he in someway denies Christ (which would “put him to shame”). 

As Paul sits in his little cell, and prepares for the ordeal ahead of him that may or may not lead to his death, he finds himself wonderfully blessed and strengthened through knowing that there is this whole community of people in Philippi who love him and who are praying for him, and he finds himself rejoicing.  Again and again in this heartfelt letter, he will talk about his own rejoicing and encourage those who read his letter to rejoice too. 

Here’s a technique for prayer.  Create a space, a little cell of sorts, where you can go to pray.  (I’m reminded that we not only refer to prison rooms as cells, but also the living quarters of monks and nuns whose primary vocation is prayer.)  Create a little cell, a small space, with a chair or cushion for sitting.  Place one or more symbols there: a cross, picture of Jesus, candle, photo of a place in nature where you have felt so very alive, or something else that will draw your attention beyond the symbol to God.  Note this need not be extravagant.  Your cell might be a corner of the living room, or your car, or a bathroom (for some the one place in the house where they can sit for a few minutes unbothered).  

Then, there in your little cell, pray.  Breathe in belovedness, speak a word of gratitude, and confess your limitations.  Then consider the challenges of your life; if this is in the morning consider the challenges in the day ahead.  Ask for God’s help in meeting those challenges, then trust that you shall have that.  God’s help will come, at times through God’s Spirit within you, at times through others in your daily life, and at times through those in your faith community who care for you (or would if you would give them more opportunity to do.)

Thank you God for calling us to pray, and for your promise to listen.  I am frail and my life is complex.  Be with me, strengthen me to act rightly; and from all of the challenges of my daily life, and the dangers of my sin, deliver me.  I rejoice to know that ultimately you will!  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment